[mapserver-users] MapFile viewer

Ivan Mincik ivan.mincik at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 03:14:41 PST 2012

On 12/14/2012 10:20 AM, Thomas Gratier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What is the advantage compare to OpenLayers built-in viewer (since 6.x
> version) e.g http://mapserver.org/trunk/fr/openlayers.html ?

I do not use that viewer, but it could be one of these:

1. Works for MapServer < 6.0

2. Doesn't require web server running on Your machine. It creates its
own WSGI server which is more like development environments should look
like (Django dev server).

3. I am not sure how viewer in MapServer deals with errors in mapfile.
In my case it prints usable error message to console which is key
feature for debugging.

4. Possibilities to override CONNECTION setting - in production we use
variables substitution ('user=%MYUSER% password=%MYPASSWORD%
dbname=%MYDBNAME% host=%MYHOST%'). In development I can send there my
user credentials.

5. Possibility to override some other parameters line EXTENT. It creates
possibility to work with many projects with the same base mapfile. I
will add other overriding options.

6. Or maybe No advantage at all

--
Ivan Mincik