[mapserver-users] MapServer WMS don't work pretty well with arcgis desktop

Andrea Peri aperi2007 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 08:03:58 PST 2012

Hi Andrea.

Is exactly as you say.

Arcgis refuse to call

The fact is exactly this.

Wrong to understand a Layer with Name.

If a layer has some sublayer , arcgis call the sublayers but skip the
layer himself
This happened both case with name and without name.
So arcgis think that a layer is always a "containing category" always
if it has some sublayers.

> So, by my understanding of the spec, if your parent Layer does not have a
> Name
> ArcGis is right in not calling it, but if it has a Name, then it's a bug in
> ArcGis.

Ok, so this is an arcgis bug.

But I'm not sure that the esri think this is a bug . :)

Because arcgis 9.3 is a old release and their service pack never resolve this.
Instead esri release a specific version of arcgis named "arcgis for inspire"

Now I try to find a work-around for this bug. In the MapServer configuration,
i don't like to lost all the arcgis 9.3 users.

Andrea.