[mapserver-users] Trouble connecting to PostGIS

Bistrais, Bob Bob.Bistrais at maine.gov
Mon Feb 13 13:11:44 PST 2012

First of all, let me state that I am brand new to PostGIS and don't know
much about what I'm doing with it.  That being said, I am having trouble
displaying a PostGIS layer through MapServer.

Right now I'm just experimenting with PostGIS and simply trying to get a
layer to display.  I installed the Postgre and PostGIS 1.5.  I used the
shapefile loader to convert a couple shapefiles to PostGIS data.
Looking in pgAdmin, I see the tables do indeed exist for these layers.

So I built a MapServer map file.  Here is my connection strings:

DATA "the_geom from MylayerPoly"

CONNECTION "user=postgisuser password=MyPassword! dbname=postgistest
host=localhost port=5432"

CONNECTIONTYPE postgis

But the layer does not display.  Incidentally, I'm using GeoMoose as a
front end for testing, but that shouldn't matter here.

I did a mapserv -v at commandline, and I see the parameter
INPUT=POSTGIS.

So as far as I know it should work. Can anyone offer suggestions as to
what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Bob