[mapserver-users] MapServer and PHP

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Jul 30 08:37:53 PDT 2012

On 12-07-30 11:02 AM, Lester Caine wrote:
> Jeff McKenna wrote:
>> Oh one final note: I did cringe when you mention "XP": that platform is
>> becoming old now, similar to (when I started this) users stuck on
>> Windows98 years ago.  Be warned that for best results with MS4W you
>> should be using a more recent Windows version such as Windows7 or Vista.
>
> Since my own customer base banned Vista, they are only just upgrading to
> Windows7, but most have now switched to using Linux for the web server
> infrastructure where they were pure windows sites before. Best results
> for Mapserver are on Linux and our benchmarks show that W7 running
> Apache/PHP leaves a lot to be desired ;)

Hello Lester,

Thanks for your feedback.  In fact at last year's WMS Benchmarking
exercise with several software teams, we found that MapServer on Windows
did very well vs Linux, and other mapping engines for that matter (don't
just take my word for it, see the numbers at
http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/benchmarking/wms/2011/presentation/).

Let me know how we can help your customer base: please contact me
directly at any time.

Thanks for using MS4W.

-jeff

--