[mapserver-users] MapServer and PHP

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Jul 30 10:08:14 PDT 2012

Daniel Morissette wrote:
>> Thanks for your feedback.  In fact at last year's WMS Benchmarking
>> exercise with several software teams, we found that MapServer on Windows
>> did very well vs Linux, and other mapping engines for that matter (don't
>> just take my word for it, see the numbers at
>> http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/benchmarking/wms/2011/presentation/).
>>
> Looking at the charts in the 2011 Benchmark presentations, it seems that
> MapServer on Linux was more or less 3 times faster than the Windows version in
> each chart. So my interpretation is that MapServer on Windows is doing as well
> as the rest of the pack, but in those tests, MapServer and Mapnik on Linux were
> still doing much better. Am I missing something?

That corresponds with the benchmark figures I posted for Apache/PHP running on
W7 and SUSE linux on the same test machine. XP running on the same hardware was
a lot faster than W7 running the identical tests, but still half the speed of
Linux. I was somewhat surprised just how slow W7 was but the consensus was that
the figures were accurate, and there was little that could be done to improve
things :( It was early this year, but I don't think anything has changed since.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL