[mapserver-users] Best approach for huge dataset.

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Jul 30 16:59:42 PDT 2012

On 7/30/2012 7:08 PM, web wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm building a WMS with around 1000 tif files that are about 2gb each
> one. I wonder if the approach I've taken is the most appropriate. I
> built a mapfile with one LAYER declaration for each file. That makes
> then  1000 LAYER declarations. I use a GROUP and call it in the LAYERS
> parameter in my client to avoid writting the 1000 names :-)
> But well it's kinda slow to open as you can guess.
> Is this approach a good one or is there any other more appropriate I
> could follow?

No this is probably the worse way you could have done it.

Read this and specifically you want to create a tileindex so all you
rasters are in a single layer.

http://mapserver.org/input/raster.html

Also if you are using geotiff you should make sure all you rasters are
using "TILED=YES" as this is the most efficent for mapserver to access.

You should be looking at GDAL as that is the library that mapserver uses
and it has some great utilites for manipulating geotiffs

-Steve W