[mapserver-users] Avoid labels over particular lines

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Mar 22 20:19:02 EDT 2012

On 3/22/2012 8:09 PM, Matt McClelland wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Is there a way in mapserver (6.0) to prevent labels appearing over a map
> feature?
>
> I have a highway and I want to prevent labels (town and other names from
> other layers) sitting over the highway.
> I guess something like Buffer in labels.

No, when you go to process a label it knows nothing about what features
have been rendered. I guess in theory you could add all the features to
the label cache. I guessing that to do this you would need some keyword
at the LAYER level to indicate that these features need to be added to
the label cache, but nothing exists today that would do this.

You might want to open a ticket for an enhancement and paste the cotent
of your message and my response above into it.

-Steve W