[mapserver-users] Mapfile verification tool

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue May 15 11:18:41 EDT 2012

On 5/15/2012 11:02 AM, Ivan Mincik wrote:
> On 05/15/2012 03:56 PM, Lime, Steve D (DNR) wrote:
>> Other than using shp2img or one of the other command-line executables I'm afraid there isn't a validator.
>>

> What about writing some trivial mapscript script which will loop over
> all layers in mapfile. If some syntax error would be found some
> exception will be raised ?

Ivan,

I don't think this will work because the mapfile is read all at once and
parsed into an internal data structure. You can't access it in mapscript
until the parser has read it and the parser will error out on any errors.

I think you would need to modify the parser and add some kind of error
recovery to continue parsing the rest of the file to report additional
errors.

Currently there is no attempt to recover from an error because we assume
that the mapfile should be valid in the production environment. For
development/debugging purposes, you would have to add the error recovery
code.

-Steve W