[mapserver-users] Some Doubts in WMS Time Documentation

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Tue May 15 12:21:24 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM, abhishek bansal <discover.ab at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank You very much for your reply.. I have read that document for like
> thousand times but could never understand that. I am still confused because
> the layer "time_idx" is polygon type(which is vector type) layer, So how I
> will be able to render raster based upon time.
> I have my rasters (with tiling) stored in PostGIS 2.0 database.

I think that the document you are referring is very clear, in any case
I try to give you quick general instructions to put you on the way.
.
Your scenario
-------------------

* you have one raster for each different time
* you want to create a WMS that can parse the TIME parameter for
displaying the correct raster/rasters for that time

What you need to do
------------------------------

* you need to have a tile index: this is a polygon vector dataset, it
could be for example a shapefile or a PostGIS table
* if you are using a shapefile (I suggest you to keep it simple and
start with a shapefile), the gdaltindex utility [1] is very handy
* the shapefile must contain one polygon with each raster dataset
extent. You also need a text field (filepath in the example), with the
physical path of that raster and a date field (datetime in the
example), with the date of that raster
* if you created the shapefile with gdaltindex, you will need to add
yourself the values for the datetime field (most likely with an OGR
script)

If you follow this instruction it should work for you

[1] http://www.gdal.org/gdaltindex.html

--
Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer