[mapserver-users] WMS server error. Invalid layer(s) given in the LAYERS parameter.

Mike Stoddart stodge at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 13:49:19 PDT 2012

I'm using MapServer 6.0.1 on Fedora 16 and I'm having a weird layer issue.
We're trying to port our application from MapServer 5 -> 6 and we're seeing
the error:

WMS server error. Invalid layer(s) given in the LAYERS parameter.

I can re-create the problem using Python MapScript and an example map file
from the MapServer website. The map file is:

MAP
    NAME "sample"
    STATUS ON
    SIZE 600 400

    EXTENT -180 -90 180 90
    UNITS DD

    IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
    FONTSET        "/opt/test/conf/fonts.list"

    #
    # Start of web interface definition
    #
    WEB
        IMAGEPATH "/opt/test/static/ms_tmp"
        IMAGEURL  "/media/ms_tmp/"
    END # WEB

    #
    # Start of layer definitions
    #
LAYER
  NAME 'inline_circles'
  TYPE CIRCLE
  STATUS on
  FEATURE
    POINTS
      74.01 -53.8
      110.7 -22.16
    END
  END
  CLASS
    STYLE
      COLOR 0 0 255
    END
  END
END

END # MAP

If I use the following Python:

import mapscript
f = "<path to map file>"
m = mapscript.mapObj(f)
r = mapscript.OWSRequest()
r.setParameter('LAYERS', 'inline_circle')
m.loadOWSParameters(r)

I get:

<ServiceExceptionReport version="1.1.1">
<ServiceException code="LayerNotDefined">
msWMSLoadGetMapParams(): WMS server error. Invalid layer(s) given in the
LAYERS parameter.
</ServiceException>
</ServiceExceptionReport>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/mapscript.py", line 1623, in
loadOWSParameters
    def loadOWSParameters(*args): return
_mapscript.mapObj_loadOWSParameters(*args)
_mapscript.MapServerError: msWMSLoadGetMapParams(): WMS server error.
Invalid layer(s) given in the LAYERS parameter.

So it doesn't think the layer exists. If I check the layer's status:

m.getLayer(0).status
0

The layer is disabled? So I'm assuming something is amiss in my map file
but I just can't see it. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks
Mike