[mapserver-users] Best way to do a batch reprojection (on windows)

Mark Korver mwkorver at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 14:47:50 PDT 2013

Strictly speaking you don't have to re-project all of the data.  Mapserver
can resample rasters on the fly into new projections.  You can build a map
file that references your different UTM zones as layers and serves up one
WMS response as a jpeg image etc.

However, this could be very slow depending on how much source data
Mapserver needs to look at to do the resample and projection.  The fact
that it is jp2 is nice from a less storage perspective, but will slow this
process down. I think we would need to know more about what your
application requirements are to help you on this.  For example if you are
just serving this data up to a few people for an internal app you might not
be worth the trouble of re-projecting the data.  If you are serving to
many, and are not doing cached tiled requests, you may want to output to
tiled jpeg compressed tifs, then create a few subsample layers, then
finally serve those up.