[mapserver-users] securing mapserver layers

Raffaele Morelli raffaele.morelli at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 03:24:01 PDT 2013

2013/8/8 Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us>

> Mark,
>
> Early on we set up some Apache rules to handle this, but it's based on a
> naming mechanism in the MAP files.
>
> If you look at our public facing MAPfile links, each mapfile name looks
> something like:  <mapfile-title>_public.map
>
> The "_public" chunk is read by Apache as something that is available
> externally.  We actually came up with five different classes of file types
> originally, but this is really the only one that we use and it's intended
> to allow the Mapfile/data custodians a method of making their data
> available outside if they want to.  They just need to add that chunk of
> text to their Mapfile and apache lets outside access see them.i've been
> meaning to set up a whole demo suite of our configuration for a while (few
> years) now, but just never got around to it.  We have other similar APACHE
> mod for other things as well that I think others would be interested in.
>
> We have a couple of newer projects that might dictate that we set up some
> demo product that might morph into some sort of demo eventually.
>
> Bobb

Apache environment variables can do this but it's more related to hide the
mapfile path on the file system.
eg. a request for "YOUR_ALIAS" is turned into the real path from the
webserver, /your/real/path/to/the/mapfile.map

This is accomplished by symbolic links (YOUR_ALIAS) to mapserver executable
in the cgi dir

http://mapserver.org/ogc/wms_server.html#changing-the-online-resource-url

/r