[mapserver-users] Orientation of vector symbols on a LINE

Havard Tveite havard.tveite at umb.no
Thu Aug 29 00:05:53 PDT 2013

The implementation of GAP has been fixed (center to center
distance between symbols), and so has the calculation of
symbol height.
I guess that the following should work:

STYLE
   SYMBOL "wavy_line"
   WIDTH 1
   SIZE 2
   GAP -6
   COLOR 0 0 0
END

Since you have y values from -1 to 1, and x values between 0
and 6, the ratio between the height of your symbol and the
length is 2 / 6.  The ratio between size and gap should be the
same to make the the line continuous.

Håvard

On 8/29/2013 1:31 AM, TC Haddad wrote:

> Hello, I'm trying to understand symbol orientation and (maybe) use of ANCHORPOINT on a line in Mapserver 6.2.
>
> The vector symbol that I have been using for line cartography in MapServer 6.0.3 is below, and I am trying to get the same effect in Mapserver 6.2.1.
>
> SYMBOL
>    NAME "wavy_line"
>    TYPE vector
>    POINTS
>      0 0
>      1 1
>      2 1
>      3 0
>      4 -1
>      5 -1
>      6 0
>    END
> END
>
> Display in Mapserver 6.0.3:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42845001/mapserver6.0.3.png
>
> Relevant Style bloc from Mapserver 6.0.3:
>
> STYLE
>       SYMBOL "wavy_line"
>       WIDTH 1
>       SIZE 2
>       GAP -1
>       COLOR 0 0 0
> END
>
> This did not translate directly to Mapserver 6.2.1, but I came close with this:
>
> STYLE
>      SYMBOL "wavy_line"
>       WIDTH 1
>       SIZE 4
>       GAP 6
>       COLOR 0 0 0
> END
>
> which produced this:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42845001/mapserver6.2.1.png
>
> Obviously I am missing something about how to get the symbol to orient along the line, I played with ANCHORPOINT as that  was new in 6.2 and it seemed like the default of 0.5 0.5  should work for my symbol, but I also tried several other value combinations and it seemed to merely shift the symbol around laterally, while maintaining an upright orientation.
>
> So I'm a bit confused on how to achieve the original effect, (behavior something like the equivalent of FOLLOW for Labels). Any pointers appreciated...

Håvard Tveite
Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology, UMB
Drøbakveien 31, POBox 5003, N-1432 Ås, NORWAY
Phone: +47 64965483 Fax: +47 64965401 http://www.umb.no/imt/