[mapserver-users] MapCahe question -- Caching the first couple of zoom levels

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 05:53:53 PST 2013

James and others,
I have also had requests for this off-list, but am somewhat weary to
implement this. Firstly, this goes against the concept that mapcache
is a *cache*, although I do clearly understand why/when this could be
needed. Secondly, there's a whole lot of logic that treats the
"metatile" problem that would need to be overridden or worked around
in that case (as we would not want to send a full metatile request to
the WMS server, but only the extent for a single tile. This would need
to be accounted for rather early as multiple incoming requests are
synchronised/paused while waiting for the same metatile).
This is an issue that doesn't scratch any of my itches, so I will
probably not be adding it without any incentive, even more so that
there are some workarounds available as pointed out by Andreas and
Armin. I would also add that rather than implementing this
straightforwardly, I would prefer having the possibility of having
multiple caches per tileset, depending on the zoom level, so that e.g.
high zoom level tiles could be stored to a volatile memcache backend
that automatically does the pruning, thus avoiding the metatile issues
completely.

regards,
thomas