[mapserver-users] SVG text

Jefferson Williams jefferson.d.williams at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 06:22:01 PST 2013

When you say "a specific rendering driver"...  I am not a professional
programmer and am not trying to speak above my level, but it seems to me
that producing a text element in an SVG file is a fairly trivial task
compared to rendering the text into vectors, which is what Cairo does now.
The text doesn't need to be "rendered" at all, but simply inserted into a
text element such as this example from w3.org:

<text x="250" y="150" font-family="Verdana" font-size="55" fill="blue"
>Hello, out there</text>

Thoughts? I realize that this is a Cairo issue, not a Mapserver issue,
since the SVG rendering was moved out of Mapserver; but would you agree
that this would be a fairly simple task from a programming perspective?

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 7:14 AM, thomas bonfort <thomas.bonfort at gmail.com>wrote:

> Jefferson,
> There is currently no way to produce those elements with mapserver,
> and to my knowledge there are no plans to do so yet. A specific
> rendering driver would need to be implemented to achieve this, but has
> not yet been funded or proposed.
>
> regards,
> thomas
>
> On 24 December 2013 17:42, Jefferson Williams
> <jefferson.d.williams at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm a long-time user of PHP Mapscript and have written code to produce
> maps
> > for Wikipedia.  Older versions of Mapscript produced SVG files that
> > contained text elements.  In more recent versions, text is produced as a
> > series of vectors instead, which means that the text cannot be edited.
> > Often auto-generated maps need to be tweaked in various ways before they
> are
> > ready for the public. Now I can move text, but I cannot edit it.
> >
> > Is there a way with 6.2 or 6.4 that labels can be produced as text
> elements
> > in the resulting SVG file?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Jeff Williams