[mapserver-users] Lock file limit on many concurrent seeding processes [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Matthew Doyle M.Doyle at bom.gov.au
Wed Feb 27 21:37:37 PST 2013

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the response & explanation. Makes sense.

thomas bonfort wrote
> Given Matthew's usecase, I also suspect that restarting apache is not
> an acceptable behavior.

You'd be right.  At certain times of the day, depending on data arrival, we
could be running > 1 concurrent seeding processes, and also allowing live
users to seed any tiles on the fly. For the most part, it works (although it
pollutes the logs a fair bit). Sometimes it doesn't work, but the worst case
scenario here is that the next attempt to load that tile, it will get
created and served to the live user.

For now, we are happy to live with option 1 - live with the risk of tile
corruptions and/or missed tiles.
We have configured OpenLayers IMAGE_RELOAD_ATTEMPTS to re-request up to
three times, if a request for a tile fails, so the chance of the user seeing
dead tiles is greatly reduced.

Regards,
Matt