[mapserver-users] alternatives to ms4w?

Smith, Michael Michael.Smith at maine.gov
Thu Jul 11 06:45:33 PDT 2013

I am curious about this myself.  In my research, it seems that both packages are using MapServer versions that are fairly out of date.

MS4W hasn't been updated in over a year and is at MapServer 6.0.3
OSGeo4W reports it is using an even older version 5.0.x.

Meanwhile MapServer itself is at 6.2.1 and counting.

One big difference in the two packages is that OSGeo4W is a bunch of OS GIS tools including things like GRASS and QGIS, while MS4W is just MapServer.  We use MS4W extensively and find it very easy to install and configure compared to OSGeo4W.  MS4W really is the 'drop-in' approach and we can typically set up a server in about 30 seconds.

===============================
Michael Smith MS GISP
State GIS Manager, Maine Office of GIS
State of Maine, Office of Information Technology
michael.smith _at_ maine.gov 207-215-5530

Board Member, Maine GeoLibrary
Education Chair, Maine GIS Users Group
State Rep, National States Geographic Information Council
[cid:image001.jpg at 01CE7E1B.1479DAB0]

State House Station 145
51 Commerce Drive
Augusta, ME 04333-0145