[mapserver-users] Wraping of text (and columns) ???

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Jul 22 08:58:24 PDT 2013

All,

Does anyone know what will happen if a wrapped text string reaches the bottom of a mapview, if it's anchored to the top left of the mapview?   Will it for example start a new column to the right of the previous column, or can it be made to do so.  Or is there possible a FIT parameter to fit a text string with wrapping vertically?  I have a highly variable list of GPS points that I want to display based on timeline activity ratings on top of the map.

My need (or problem) is to be able to populate a column of text (preferably via MapServer??) as a overlay on top of a map.  This is simply meant to be a list of IDs down one side of the map view inside of an existing mapserver layer that is updated automatically every few seconds.  I'm interested in getting this working in MapServer initially, and to probably do some PUSH processing to accomplish the same thing with javascript at a later point.  The Mapserver route affords me the option of making things very portable on the client side.

Maybe I'm pushing MapServer too far in this instance.

I can make this work with a CGI call to a separate routine in a div next to, or on top of the map, but that starts to get messy with respect to keeping the map (where the IDs are moving around) synced with the column of IDs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Bobb