[mapserver-users] Slides for MapServer Project Report @foss4gna

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Jun 7 11:48:41 PDT 2013

On 13-06-07 2:08 PM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:

> We're in the middle of redesigning some Mapping infrastructure here, and the SVG and ScribeUI stuff looks very interesting.  I wonder, is there some option in the ScribeUI side for putting certain MapFile elements into a database?  We've been wrestling with this idea for some time, and I'm wondering about trying something like this for some of our layers.  The ScribeUI stuff seems like it might be a tool to use for keeping things in a common design format for example.

Hi Bob,

Short answer is that no, there is no option to store/manage mapfiles in
a database in the current ScribeUI plans. However, once ScribeUI is out
in the wild as an open source project, one could possibly extend it to
support something along those lines.

BTW, the Google Summer of Code project has been accepted on May 27 and
we'll try to get our student to release something for the community to
look at ASAP... quite likely in the next few weeks, so please stay tuned.

And on the topic of storing mapfile elements in a database, Mike Smith
has been promoting the idea of a DBINCLUDE concept for some time. That
hasn't happened yet, but might be another avenue that might serve your
needs if it was to happen or if you'd like to help make it happen. The
first step would be to define exactly how such a mechanism would work of
course.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette