[mapserver-users] cascading wms and layer names encoding

Rahkonen Jukka jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Sun Jun 9 04:57:24 PDT 2013

Sorry about wrong information concerning ESRI servers and WMS layer Names. I thought that ArcIMS is always using names beginning with numbers but obviously it can also convert Titles into Names (even if Title contains invalid characters) and I am not sure at all how layer Names are configured with ArcGIS server. Perhaps it in no more possible to create invalid Names.

-Jukka-

 Rahkonen Jukka wrote:

> Hi,

> I am sure that layer names should not begin with a number by WMS standard, or perhaps it is XML in the background. Numbers are allowed later in the name but as the first character. However, I think this is just nice to know because I do not know any WMS client that would deny to use such layers. One reason may be that until rather recently all the ESRI WMS servers always created layer name starting with a number and there was no way to change that. So go ahead with numbers if you feel so, you are not alone.

>I had a try with QGis 1.9 (Master) and it is listing very nice all WMS layer names, titles and abstracts. What QGis version do you use?

-Jukka Rahkonen-
duartecarreira wrote:

> Jukka, thanks for your reply.

> Some wms clients do not use the title from layers. They only show the name
(eg qgis).

> As it stands, my wms server creates wms layers names automatically from my
map project, either as a numeric sequence (0,1,2...) or the same string as
the title. (have you guessed which server it is?)
So I was trying to show qgis users something more meaningful than numbers.
And at the same time I was using MapServer to coalesce several layers into
one meaningful single layer, since WMC is so rarelly supported... this way
my users don't have to look at a list of layers and figure out which should
be used together to have a readable map. Since wms services are expensive in
server resources I tend to publish several layers in each one.