[mapserver-users] How to configure mapserver as a tile server?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri May 24 19:37:59 PDT 2013

On 5/24/2013 10:06 PM, Hishan Melanga wrote:
> I have a working mapserver and I can view my map using
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/path/to/map&mode=browse&template=openlayers&layers=all.
> Now I want to give out those data to public as tiles giving a single URL
> such as tile.myserver.org <http://tile.myproxy.org/>. How can I achieve
> this using Mapserver? What is the place to start? What tutorials I have
> to read? I've read that Mapserver has a tile mode
> <http://mapserver.org/output/tile_mode.html>.
> Thanks in advance.

mapcache it the tile server for mapserver. So you will want to look at
that. The basic scenario is this:

1. setup mapserver as a WMS server
2. build and install mapcache as an apache module
3. setup a mapcache.xml to describe you WMS server, and your cache.
    make sure you configure the demo service initially for testing
    you can disable it later if you want
4. restart apache
5. http://example.com/mapcache/demo

whenever you change your mapcache.xml you need to start apache so it
reads your changes.

-Steve W