[mapserver-users] Using a group layer as a mask layer

tellett thomas.ellett at statkart.no
Fri Nov 1 07:53:10 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could give me a yes or no answer to this question:

Is it possible to use a 'GROUP' or 'WMS_LAYER_GROUP' layer as a mask for
another layer.

For example
MAP
LAYER
Name 'Layer1'
GROUP 'asmask'
END

LAYER
Name 'Layer2'
GROUP 'asmask'
END

LAYER
Name 'Layer3'
MASK 'asmask'
END

END

Or:
MAP

LAYER
Name 'Layer1'
'WMS_LAYER_GROUP' 'Layer1'
END

LAYER
Name 'Layer2'
'WMS_LAYER_GROUP' 'Layer1'
END

LAYER
Name 'Layer3'
MASK 'Layer1'
END

END

I'm just looking for a yes or no at the moment because I've been trying both
of these methods and neither are working but I'm also getting absolutely no
debug info. It looks as if 'Layer3' loads (3 or 4 second load time in the
log) but nothing is showing in the map at all. So its looks as if mapserver
fetches Layer3 but gets no data from the GROUP layer or WMS_GROUP_LAYER (and
no I'm not trying them at the same time :)).

Any offers?

Thanks

Tom