[mapserver-users] Need help speeding up my image processing

K ken at sandnarrows.com
Sat Nov 16 20:18:05 PST 2013

I am using openlayers as my front end, mapserver to process my files to
load as WMS layers.

I have a bunch of imagery I have divided up into different zoom levels.
Two are just single images, both under 100kb in size.

Three are loaded via image catalog/index shape file, the top level has
images of about 150kb in size, with about 8 images in view. Next level
is around 2m in size, about 6 images in view. Lastly is about 3m in
size, 4ish images in view.

Everything looks good, works well, it is just slow and there does not
seem to be much difference in how long it takes to load the imagery at
each scale, they are all similarly slow. I am thinking that means it is
a process issue and I am probably doing something inefficient that is
causing the slowness.

Here is my output setup from my map file:

   OUTPUTFORMAT
     NAME "png"
     MIMETYPE "image/png"
     DRIVER "GD/PNG"
     EXTENSION "png"
     IMAGEMODE RGB
     TRANSPARENT OFF
   END

Here is an example of my Layer:

   LAYER
     NAME "Imagery"
     STATUS ON
     TILEINDEX "1m3px/1m3px_imgcat.shp"
     TILEITEM "location"
     TYPE RASTER
     MAXSCALEDENOM 5000
     MINSCALEDENOM 2000
   END

How does this look? Any other info I can provide that would provide more
clarity?

Thanks,

Ken