[mapserver-users] Mapcache with mapfile as layer

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Sep 19 12:40:05 PDT 2013

On 9/19/2013 3:02 PM, Pablo Cecconi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been a Mapserver user for many years now but I'm new to Mapcache
> and I'm not sure whether it's possible to replicate a particular
> TileCache setup using Mapcache.
> What we have today is a number of mapfiles (with Mapserver 5.4) set up
> as WMS-C layers served with TileCache. We're migrating to Mapserver
> 6.2.1 and as it's incompatible with TileCache we expect to be able to
> replace it using Mapcache.
> In our current setup if I have a mapfile where a particular layer has
> STATUS OFF then TileCache will honor that status and not render the layer.
> I'd like to know whether it's possible to have MapCache work that way,
> that is, passing the map name as the LAYERS parameter of the WMS service
> and make it honor whatever STATUS a particular layer would have in the
> mapfile.

I think the mapcache paradigm for this in mapcache works like this:

tileset
   name=foo
   source=foo-source

source
   name=foo-source
   map=/path/to/mapfile
   layers=layer1,layer2,layers3,...

So you can configure which layers a tileset returns. I'm not sure how it
deals with the status off, but it will work if you define the list
explicitly. This also allow you to do this in the same mapcache.xml

tileset
   name=foo2
   source=foo-source2

source
   name=foo-source2
   map=/path/to/mapfile
   layers=streets,...
   transparent=true

I do this a lot when I have a subset of data like streets that I want to
render as an overly on a raster image

-Steve W