[mapserver-users] Beginning MapServer User needs help

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Apr 25 03:31:16 PDT 2014

On 2014-04-24, 3:25 PM, Deborah Traver wrote:
> Is anyone willing to help me figure out my issues? I am doing a tutorial
> on gistutor.com/mapserver
> <http://www.gistutor.com/mapserver/3-beginner-mapserver-tutorials/7-how-to-generate-a-simple-map-using-mapserver-and-a-shapefile.html>,
> and have followed it to the tee. I am a ms4w user. Mapserver and apache
> are installed correctly. I imagine I am making a small mistake somewhere
> in my MapFile &/or html. I tried sending a more detailed email, but it
> was too large to send. I can send more info to anyone that has a few
> minutes for me.

Hi Deb,

If I had to guess, I bet that tutorial that you are using is very very
old, and the templates you are using from it will likely not work as-is
with more recent versions of MapServer (e.g. "error line 1 blah blah
blah").  Use the shp2img commandline tool that is part of MS4W and try
to create a map image (see example usage at
http://mapserver.org/utilities/shp2img.html).  That tool will return a
map image, or an error with a line number).

Once you get the exact error, search the mailing list for that error
(this is the best way to search:
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/MapServer-f4226623.html).

And finally, welcome to the MapServer /OSGeo community! :)

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/