[mapserver-users] Connecting to a mapnik / renderd / mod_tile layer

Juanma M. R. juanma.mr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 01:58:26 PDT 2014

Dear list,

I have a server offering OSM tiled layer based on the instructions here
<http://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/building-a-tile-server-from-packages/>.

I have a openlayers using this OSM base layer and other overlay layers but
I would like to make them printable as an image or PDF. After trying with
client-side alternatives and failing one after another, I am trying now
based on a server-side and MapServer based approach, the one I am more used
to.

So, I have already configured the overlays layers in my map file and I need
to include the OSM tiled layer I have directly from mod_tile data. The
issue is that I can't find a way to do it. I am not familiar with mapnik,
that is why I am trying with mapserv which I installed on the server. Also
I would like to use mapserver to use the PDF, KML and multiple image
formats supported. I have always used mapserver, but I inherit this OSM
configuration and I found problems migrating or addapting it.

I have checked mapserver documentation, but following the instructions
in Rendering
OSM Data <http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/RenderingOsmDataUbuntu> it
fails when trying to compile mapserver-utils due to not being able to
connect www.naturalearthdata.com. However, here
<http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/RenderingOsmData> it says no
osm2pgsql estructure is supported anymore. So I am affraid I will need to
load data again to be able to serve OSM layer from MapServer.

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect to this mod_tile tiles from a
mapserver mapfile?

If no, does anyone know why mapserver-utils are failing and if there is
another tutorial for configuring OSM own server with MapServer?

Regards,
Juan Manuel Moreno Rivera.