[mapserver-users] Dynamic GEOMTRANSFORM based on map scale

Tom tom at nthsense.net
Tue Jul 22 09:39:12 PDT 2014

Hi folks,

I'm trying to implement a kind of 'feature generalization' so that the
feature data in my WFS responses will be appropriate to the map zoom level.
I see two basic techniques I could use to do this:

1)      Use different shapefiles at different zoom levels

2)      Use GEOMTRANSFORM somehow

Of these two, GEOMTRANSFORM seems like the least hassle.  However, I can't
seem to figure out a way to factor in my map's scale into the amount of
shape simplification.  When I'm zoomed out, the shapes should be simplified
a lot.  When I'm zoomed the whole way in, I should be using finer detail.
Is there a variable I can use in this expression? GEOMTRANSFORM
(simplifypt([shape], [map_cellsize] * 10))

[map_scale] would be nice, if it existed.

Thanks,

Tom