[mapserver-users] htdocs settings and mapfile status

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Tue Jun 24 07:29:16 PDT 2014

On 6/24/14 9:24 AM, Stefanos Anastasiou wrote:
Hi list.  I have two questions that are confusing me a little bit.
First of all I am keeping all my HTML template files /usr/local/apache2/htdocs.  This folder has read-only permission settings by default so every time I want to edit/create a template I use nano or pico through terminal with root privileges. So, would it be wise (would it be secure?) to make htdocs folder have read/write permission and if not what other way is there so I can edit/make template files easily?
You don't need to keep your templates (or mapfiles) in the htdocs folder.

Another question is that when I make my mapfile and set STATUS to default everything works fine. But when it's set to on I get a blank page (needless to mention about STATUS off). That's not normal right?

That is normal, believe it or not.  DEFAULT means the layer is on all the time.  ON means the layer is accessible all the time.  the difference is that with the ON value, you need to include a "layers=<layer_name, layer_name, . . " chunk in the call to mapserver (assuming you are using CGI).

bobb