[mapserver-users] Σχετ: htdocs settings and mapfile status

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Wed Jun 25 12:25:51 PDT 2014

From: mapserver-users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org [mailto:mapserver-users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Stefanos Anastasiou
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:04 PM
To: Stefanos Anastasiou; mapserver-users at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: [mapserver-users] Σχετ: htdocs settings and mapfile status

Hi Bobb,
thanks for the answers. Regarding the html templates: I thought that html files are kept in htdocs since this is the DocumentRoot from where apache is configured to read files from.  So if I don't need to keep files in htdcos where else can I put them and how can apache understand where they are put.
[] The mapfiles need to be in the APACHE service path someplace, but the HTML templates do not, they are read by the Mapfiles .  You specify their location inside of the Mapfile.   I usually put them right next to the MAPFILES, but they can be hidden to apache by permissions, or even put somewhere else entirely.

Regarding the On / default status: is this chunk put in the template or the mapfile?
[] Mapfile

Stefanos

Στις 5:38 μ.μ. Τρίτη, 24 Ιουνίου 2014, ο/η Stefanos Anastasiou <emperor_stef at yahoo.gr<mailto:emperor_stef at yahoo.gr>> έγραψε:

Hi list.  I have two questions that are confusing me a little bit.
First of all I am keeping all my HTML template files /usr/local/apache2/htdocs.  This folder has read-only permission settings by default so every time I want to edit/create a template I use nano or pico through terminal with root privileges. So, would it be wise (would it be secure?) to make htdocs folder have read/write permission and if not what other way is there so I can edit/make template files easily?

Another question is that when I make my mapfile and set STATUS to default everything works fine. But when it's set to on I get a blank page (needless to mention about STATUS off). That's not normal right?