[mapserver-users] Can't get mapcache/mapserver to properly display a map.

Rahkonen Jukka (Tike) jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon Jun 30 10:55:16 PDT 2014

Hi,

I sort of hate our Mapserver tutorials because they jump directly to some fancy advanced features which for sure look good when everything works but if not then the poor new users are left all alone.   In your case something has lead you to use ridiculous BBOX.  EPSG:4326 is using degrees as units and the world is between -90/+90 and -180/+180 degrees. Your BBOX, if it works, is a really big big world. I guess you want to use EPSG:3857 (900913). But there is the first problem that layer "borders1" is somehow faulty and even with a good BBOX you will not see a map and you have no idea what is wrong. Also  "http://localhost/mapcache/?map" cannot be right. Check the URL where mapcache WMS service should be.

http://localhost/mapcache/?map=/gisDirectory/osm-outlined,google,usshields.map&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&LAYERS=borders1&STYLES=&SRS=EPSG:4326%20&BBOX=-20000000,-20000000,20000000,20000000&WIDTH=800&HEIGHT=800&FORMAT=image/png

I am sure that I can guide your through your troubles but unfortunately I am quite busy for the next few days. Meanwhile you can read Mapserver documentation about basic WMS use and perhaps set ut a simple layer from a shapefile. You can also read my own tutorial from http://latuviitta.org/documents/Super_easy_WMS_server.pdf. It is quite old and I have not tested lately if it is still valid.

-Jukka Rahkonen-