[mapserver-users] Update MapServer in demo.mapserver.org?

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Wed May 14 07:50:38 PDT 2014

Hmm,

This is an interesting problem.

We had a similar problem to this a few years back where we needed to run some legacy programs against an older version of mapserver while still being able to upgrade the majority of systems to a newer version.

What we ended up implementing is some Apache rules to handle using different MapServer versions via CGI calling parameters.  I wonder if it makes any sense to suggest here, that all viable (still living) development versions of MapServer be set up in demo mode, and run side by side.  While there may not be an immediate return, I think over time, something like this might become a nice tool for development tasks.  I myself tend to work primarily on Mapfile design and only occasionally look at the underlying code, and only then to suggest some possible enhancements.

Remote data access would be the next big steeping stone of course . . .

Bobb