[mapserver-users] Storing GeoTIFFs in Amazon S3 for use with Mapserver?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Nov 4 16:45:48 PST 2014

Robert,

I've done some variations on this.

I'd encourage you to watch a video by Mark Korver on this topic from
FOSS4G: http://vimeo.com/106833852

I used his NAIP bucket in "requestor-pays" mode successfully.  One thing
that I ended up doing when reading the metadata was to use the vsicurl
driver to access the tiffs, so only the required portions were fetched.
His example actually mounts the whole bucket as a file system in which case
things are much easier.

I will note that when using vsicurl to access GeoTIFFs in S3 I found I had
to set the following configuration variables to get it working.

    # Various /vsicurl hackery to get it working with signed aws urls well
    gdal.SetConfigOption('CPL_VSIL_CURL_ALLOWED_EXTENSIONS', 'ter')
    gdal.SetConfigOption('GDAL_DISABLE_READDIR_ON_OPEN', 'YES')
    gdal.SetConfigOption('CPL_VSIL_CURL_USE_HEAD', 'NO')

I do quite a bit of stuff here with MapServer from S3, but I usually fetch
from S3 and store in /tmp for serving so by the time MapServer sees the
file it is completely normal.

Best regards,
Frank

warmerdam at pobox.com