[mapserver-users] MapServer Environment Variables and IIS

geographika geographika at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 06:30:34 PST 2015

Hi list,

There seems to be an issue with running FastCGI under IIS 7.5 and
environment variables used by MapServer. I need to point to a
curl-ca-bundle.crt file to access a remote WFS server, and it appears
this can only be set using an environment variable named CURL_CA_BUNDLE.

In brief, if I run the following from the command line:

mapserv -nh
"QUERY_STRING=map=C:\Mapserver\apps\test\test.map&SERVICE=WFS&VERSION=1.1.0&REQUEST=GetCapabilities"

My error log contains

[Mon Feb 09 14:47:29 2015].66000 HTTP: Starting to prepare HTTP requests.
[Mon Feb 09 14:47:29 2015].66000 Using CURL_CA_BUNDLE=curl-ca-bundle.crt

If I run
http://localhost/mapserver/?map=C:\Mapserver\apps\test\test.map&SERVICE=WFS&VERSION=1.1.0&REQUEST=GetCapabilities
in the browser the "Using CURL_CA_BUNDLE" line does not appear and my
certs are not found.
It appears this is not limited to this variable - setting MS_ERRORLOG as
a system variable is also ignored.

I have checked that the variables are available  using a Python script
running in IIS. I've also tried setting up custom environment variables
for the FastCGI app, played with all sorts of permissions, but no luck.

Tamas's blog mentions:

"The main issue here is that most of the libararies use *getenv *to
retrieve the environment setting, which operates only on the data
structures accessible to the run-time library (msvcrt) and not on the
environment "segment" created for the process by the operating system."

http://blog.gisinternals.com/2010/12/daily-built-binary-packages-for.html

However I'm not sure what the workaround here is exactly.
This issue appears to have come up before on the list -
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/mapserver-users/2014-February/075983.html
Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Seth