[mapserver-users] Spatial access restriction based on "secret" in URL, WMS Getcapabilities

Arne Kepp arne at tiledmarble.org
Sat Jan 10 03:41:50 PST 2015

Hi,

I would like to restrict different users to different geographic regions
based on a secret in the URL they are using to access MapServer.

I intend to use an inner join on a table with secrets / polygons, and
then use the run-time substitution in MapServer to insert the sanitized
secret into the Postgis query.

The crux, I think, is that I have to send WMS 1.3.0 GetCapabilities URLs
to our users. And I don't think I can make the getcapabilties document
include the (variable) secret in the OnlineResource elements ?

So I am thinking about writing a wrapper that rewrites the
GetCapabilities document on the fly. My question is, is there a better
way that I have not thought of?

Kind regards,
Arne