[mapserver-users] Best integration with dynamic map information

Ahmed Aboulenein aboulenein.ahmed at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 07:18:40 PDT 2015

Hi ALL,

We serve traffic lines that gets updated every 5 minutes from our feeds. We
would like to use Map Server to generate transparent tiles showing colored
polylines of the traffic.

I am newbie to Map Server, I got the server and workshop running and also I
think I have some good understanding of the map file and layers concept. I
have a question about integrating our traffic information as a data source
to the MapServer.
Important aspects for us:
1. Performance: since we are updating large areas every 5 minutes. We will
need throughput like 10K images per second. Does this sound okay?
2. Threads safety: my concern what happens if while updating the source,
the MapServer is actually rendering an image from old data. Any locks?

I understand our options are:
1. Data files: such as shape files or KML files.
2. Database: PostGIS for example.
3. Service that pulls data: WMS server - I didn't dig much here.

Thanks in advance for your help, some pointers or information to go further.

Best regards,
Ahmed