[mapserver-users] ms7 How to use FILTER

Steve.Toutant at inspq.qc.ca Steve.Toutant at inspq.qc.ca
Thu Mar 26 06:19:56 PDT 2015

I'm confused on how to use FILTER when datasource is postgis or Oracle
Spatial (Native Connection)

In an old thread, I was told to not use FILTER, but use a WHERE clause in
the Data statement.
In the ms7 Mapfile-Layer-Data doc, I see for Oracle
"Note that there are important performance impacts when using spatial
subqueries however. Try using MapServer?s FILTER whenever possible
instead."

I remember I had a bug with MS6 when using FILTER using WFS. A getfeature
on the layer with a spatial or logical filter, the FILTEr in the mapfile
was overwritten.
Please, how should we define/use FILTER int a mapfile with postgis and
also oracle (using native connection, not ogr)?
THANKS!