[mapserver-users] Mapcache - optimum format for orthophotos?

Travis Kirstine tkirstine at firstbasesolutions.com
Wed Oct 14 05:23:53 PDT 2015

This is worth a read as well for info on how to optimize your images for
mapserver.

http://mapserver.org/uk/optimization/raster.html

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 6:56 AM, thomas bonfort <thomas.bonfort at gmail.com>
wrote:

> it depends on many factors... large metatiles are more efficient as
> they usually impose less load on the WMS server, but can cause a
> significant delay for the end user if you are populating your cache on
> demand.
> If you're preseeding everything, use large power of 2 metatiles (4x4,
> 8x8,...). If you haven't pre-seeded, use smaller ones, how small
> depends on the experience you want to provide your user if the tile
> isn't already in the cache (2x2, 4x4).
> If you're rendering raster data only, you don't need a metabuffer.
>
> On 13 October 2015 at 22:15, Robert Sanson
> <Robert.Sanson at asurequality.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Thomas. I do not have labels, so would you still recommend
> metatiles for performance reasons? Would you suggest 3 3 or 5 5 for a
> Mapserver WMS backend?
> >
> > <metatile>3 3</metatile>
> >
> > Robert

[image: FBS Logo]

*Travis Kirstine*, Web Development Supervisor
*t *905‑477‑3600* x *301 | *m *647‑534‑4798 |
tkirstine at firstbasesolution.com

*First Base Solutions Inc.*
140 Renfrew Drive, Suite 100 | Markham | Ontario | L3R 6B3
*t* 905‑477‑3600 | *f* 905‑477‑0892 | www.firstbasesolutions.com