[mapserver-users] mapserver, qgis, legend and encoding

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Aug 1 06:56:29 PDT 2016

Hello Leehan,

Be strongly warned that there is a known issue with QGIS that I keep
hitting, when I'm modifying a WMS service and testing it in QGIS - the
capabilities responses are cached by QGIS, and must be manually cleared.
  You can read the whole thread here (this is my latest message:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2016-August/044000.html).
  There is also an associated QGIS ticket, but there has been no action
on it, so, be strongly aware of that problem as you travel down this path.

I've tested a simple mapfile with legend text such as "Côte d'Or" and
"fossé" with no problems (successfully displayed legend in QGIS 2.16.0
for that WMS service).  Here is some advice from me:

- test with a simple mapfile (make a copy of your mapfile, and in that
new copy remove all layers except your one "Communes" layer, and remove
all classes except one class ("Côte d'Or")
- test that simple mapefile (verify GetCapabilities request manually,
remove all WARNING messages, and then test that simple mapfile in QGIS
- once you have that working, go back to your problem (big) mapfile
- note that I am using MapServer 7.0.1 (MS4W 3.1.4) so the ENCODING
parameter inside the LEGEND was not needed, so I removed it
- I would remove all those weird characters from your mapfile, and
manually type in words like "fossé" and retry
- that weird text could be from a text editor, or opening it in another
text editor and it saved the mapfile in a different encoding, who knows

Worst case scenario: if that simple mapfile works for one layer and one
class, rebuilt the entire mapfile and all layers, inside that simple
mapfile (yes, painful, but sometimes you "gotta do what you gotta do".

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/