[mapserver-users] performance question - joining dbf tables in MapServer

Mark Volz MarkVolz at co.lyon.mn.us
Thu Aug 18 06:22:46 PDT 2016

Hello,

I am considering joining my tax data to my parcel dataset on the fly using the MapServer Join function.  This way I can update my tax data weekly, and my parcels as needed.  My tax data will be in a dbf and my parcels will be in a shapefile.

Questions:

*         Is there any performance hit using joining on the fly vs keeping the tax data in the shapefile?

*         Are there any tips I should be aware about to make the joins work faster?

http://mapserver.org/mapfile/join.html.

Thank You!

Sincerely,
Mark Volz