[mapserver-users] How to use tiles input

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu May 19 18:56:51 PDT 2016

On 5/19/2016 9:33 PM, jenia mtl wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Finally I subscribed and sent the message to the right group. Fewwww.
>
> Here goes my question:
>
> I have installed Mapserver on my arch machine
>
> Reading the docs, I want to ask a quick question: why is the "tiles"
> component (Anatomy of a MapServer App) the input?
> Isn't the tiles what this program outputs? Like isn't the output of this
> program fed as input to OpenLayers or Leafet for example?
>

> Also, where do I get the tiles? Is it OpenStreetMaps?
>
> And finally, can the tiles be something I draw myself? And how do I
> organized them? For example, I might want to have 100 tiles that
> represent the earth at resolution 10. How do I name or generally
> organize the 100 tiles so that when I ask for the tile "POINT (73.45
> 45.00)" for example, it gets the correct file and so on?
>
> Thanks in advance.

So things are organized like this:

mapcache is a tile caching server it takes requests from a client like
Openlayers or Leaflet and checks to see if it has a cached tile and
serves or it calls a rendering engine like mapserver to generate the
tiles and caches them.

mapserver is a map rendering engine, it reads a mapfile that you create
with styling information and it reads gis data from various sources
based on the mapfile and renders an image.

You can configure OpenLayers or Leaflet to request images from either
mapcache, or mapserver or other services like an OSM tileservice, or
other third party services.

google for tutorials on how to set any of these up.

-Steve W

---