[mapserver-users] confused on styling polygon

Havard Tveite havard.tveite at nmbu.no
Tue Nov 8 04:52:05 PST 2016

According to the STYLE-> WIDTH documentation, for POLYGON
symbols (filled symbols of type vector) WIDTH refers to
the width of the outline of the symbol:

"If used with SYMBOL and OUTLINECOLOR, WIDTH specifies the width of the
symbol outlines. This applies to SYMBOL TYPE vector (polygons), ellipse
and truetype."

The documentation is probably a bit imprecise in not
including the word "filled" for the vector and ellipse types.

If you add OUTLINECOLOR 255 0 0, you will see the outline
of the symbol in red with a width of 5.

Apparently, leaving out OUTLINECOLOR seems to be equivalent
to OUTLINECOLOR 255 255 255, and since your outline is
thicker than the half the width of the symbol, the outline
will erase the blue (0 0 252) interior of the symbol.

If you want to see some of the interior of the symbol
(blue), you will have to reduce the value of WIDTH or
increase the value of SIZE.

Håvard

On 08. nov. 2016 08:46, Ahmet Temiz wrote:
> Hi,
> I think I am confused on styling polygon.
> I normally displayed the map without using symbol. When
> I used symbol. Nothing is displayed.
>
> here is the relevant code.
>

>   STATUS OFF
>   TYPE POLYGON
>   OPACITY 80
>   CLASS
>      STYLE
>            SYMBOL "diagonal-auf2"
>            COLOR 0 0 252
>            SIZE 10
>            WIDTH 5
>      END
>   END
>
> ​SYMBOL
>   NAME "diagonal-auf2"
>   TYPE vector
>   POINTS
>     0 0.8
>     0.2 1
>     1 0.2
>     0.8 0
>     0 0.8
>   END
>   FILLED TRUE
> END
>> What am I doing wrong?
>
> regards
>
> --
> Ahmet Temiz
> Jeoloji Müh.
> Afet ve Acil Durum Yönetimi Başkanlığı
> Bilgi İşlem  Dairesi Başkanlığı-CBS Grubu

> Ahmet Temiz
> Geological Eng.
> Information Systems - GIS Group
> Disaster and Emergency Management
> of Presidency

Håvard Tveite
Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology, NMBU
Drøbakveien 31, POBox 5003, N-1432 Ås, NORWAY
Phone: +47 67231548 Fax: +47 64965401 http://www.nmbu.no/imt/