[mapserver-users] Mapserver speed/load test

Märt Reose Mart.Reose at smit.ee
Tue Oct 4 11:33:27 PDT 2016

Hey!

I would recommend running mapserver under linux. I have found that the best performance is with mapserver with fastcgi using unix socket and nginx reading directly from that socket.

Nginx is good as it has a smaller memory footprint than apache and thus is more capable under heavy loads.

Usually best performance gain is "caching" the images. I use mapproxy (mapproxy + gunicorn + eventlet + unix socket + nginx). Some people recommend mapcache but I havent found time to try it out yet. Ofcourse with dynamic maps caching might not be suitable. Depends on your use case.

Ofcourse you can optimize your data source, if using postgis, then maybe setting up some kind of cluster or connection pooling.

And if all that is not your thing, then optimize your maps.. http://www.mapserver.org/optimization/index.html   That might be the easiest of them all, depending on your use case.

And no matter what you try, ALWAYS performance test! Before I used jmeter, but am looking into locust.io. You should not measure performance with your gut. Use numbers.

Cheers!

Märt Reose

Leading Systems Administrator of Server Services Department
IT and Development Centre. Ministry of Interior, Estonia