[mapserver-users] Mapserver speed/load test

Märt Reose Mart.Reose at smit.ee
Wed Oct 5 11:29:06 PDT 2016

Age old battle of windows vs linux...

That presentation was really good in most aspects. I was there and thats where I found about locust. Thumbs up!

Though, it was really not mapserver vs linux, more like IIS vs Apache.

And yes, Alexandre is most correct, so much is about configuration.

Quick share of my test about 3 years ago. Do not have original data but some presentation had snippets of it.
Requests are taken from real access logs. Always the same combo of different extents and layers. Flushing cashes and restarting systems between tests etc...

Apache (original setup without much tuning) vs nginx with unix sockets and some other tunings.

Avg (46 requests per second):
Apache: 147ms
Nginx: 96ms

Avg (73 requests per second):
A: 1400ms
N: 102ms

In the end, use what you are comfortable with. Remember that every change must be tested and tested again.

Cheers!
Märt