[mapserver-users] Updating MapCache on feature edits

Seth G geographika at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 13:06:38 PDT 2016

Thanks Andreas for the OGR suggestion and clarification on
ows_updatesequence.

There was a tantalising sentence in
https://agile-online.org/Conference_Paper/CDs/agile_2012/proceedings/papers/Paper_Loechel_Caching_techniques_for_high-performance_Web_Map_Services_2012.pdf
- with no space or links to the techniques to solve the problem!

" The purge effect leads to the problem, that a cache or mapserver might
respond outdated maps. This is assumed to be critical in two cases:
1. Manually changing data: The map has to reflect the change
immediately; otherwise users get confused and try to perform the change
again.
2. Automatically changing data: public map layers with up to date
information, like traffic conditions or weather data. There are special
techniques to solve this problem, but these cannot be explained in
detail here due to space limitations."

I'm rethinking the design of my application to workaround it, and can
think of 3 possible options:

1. Cache higher zoom levels, and switch to dynamic WMS at higher scales
as edits are normally made when zoomed in
2. The application has a log in function, so I could switch to dynamic
for users with edit-rights, and use a cache for read-only users (which
would update nightly). This would solve the issue where a user makes an
edit and the layer doesn't change.
3. Try and edit the XML MapCache config file and update a dimension to
cause a new cache to be generated following an edit. This approach would
probably lead to race conditions, and would need to be reloaded in Apache.

Regards,

Seth