[mapserver-users] Road shields on Mapserver 7

Lime, Steve D (MNIT) Steve.Lime at state.mn.us
Thu Feb 23 11:56:45 PST 2017

You certainly can have STYLEs inside labels. I use this to do shields on county roads:

  CLASS
    NAME 'County Road'
    STYLE
      COLOR 255 255 255
      WIDTH 1 MAXWIDTH 1.5 MINWIDTH .75
      OUTLINECOLOR 200 200 200
      OUTLINEWIDTH 1
    END
    LABEL
      STYLE # shield
        SYMBOL 'county_road'
        COLOR 255 255 255
        OUTLINECOLOR 146 146 146
        SIZE 13 MINSIZE 13 MAXSIZE 13
        WIDTH .5 MINWIDTH .5 MAXWIDTH .5
      END
      PRIORITY 1
      TYPE TRUETYPE
      FONT 'myriad_condensed_web'
      SIZE 5 MINSIZE 5 MAXSIZE 5
      COLOR 146 146 146
      MINDISTANCE 150
      ANTIALIAS TRUE
      PARTIALS FALSE
      MINFEATURESIZE 20
    END
  END

Where county_road is referencing a true type font glyph. I'm actually doing some other conversions to remove dependency on ANNOTATION layers and haven't run into any problems yet. Perhaps the problem isn't with the style placement in the label but rather the contents of the style. You'd get a parse error otherwise.

Steve