[mapserver-users] mapserver-users Digest, Vol 108, Issue 12

Schepers, Benjamin schepers at rvr-online.de
Tue Jan 10 02:11:47 PST 2017

Hi Lowell,

thank you for your response.

< For the oblique images, we use the ground footprint layer to populate a DB table with the four corners of each image and a calculated center for each shot. That table is used as a match against the center of the current map extent to locate the oblique that is the "closet" as a view starting point.
OK so far... could be done in a lot of ways.

<We then use Imagemagick for three different operations to merge the oblique and the map image. Rotate the current map image to match the orientation of the oblique image. Distort (-disort Perspective) to stretch the map image to match the perspective of the oblique. Composite to merge the map <image and oblique into a single image.
The principle I do understand, but how is that implemented in a web application? I know ImageMagick as a commandline-utility; via CGI or PHP-plugin?

<The navigation is not fancy, there are pan arrows provided to allow the user to move to the next oblique to the N,S,E,W of the current oblique and a compass rose to allow the user to change the oblique perspective N,S,E,W. With the pan arrows and compass rotated to match whatever perspective is being <viewed.
Nearly same question as above, how is that done in a web application? Native mapswerver/mapscript-application? My optimum approach would have been to achieve a generic WMS with five layers (Ortho, N, E, S, W), where of them gets exclusively used in an application, say OL3/Leaflet/Mapbender...

Ben

> Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 06:37:44 +0000
> From: "Schepers, Benjamin" <schepers at rvr-online.de>
> To: "'mapserver-users at lists.osgeo.org'"
> 	<mapserver-users at lists.osgeo.org>
> Subject: [mapserver-users] Oblique aerial images with mapserver?
>
> Hi list,
>
> are there any suggestions or concepts out there to serve oblique
> aerial images with mapserver / opensource-software?
> The oblique images are not mosaicked and are just indirectly
> georeferenced. There do exist ground-footprints as shape with path to
> each file - comparable to a tileindex.
>
> One way I thought of, could be mosaicking each direction (N-E-S-W) and
> add them as separate layers to the service... (I know the results look
> a bit strange and I also don't know such software for mosaicking -
> Google's/Bing's secret? Are there any open solutions for that?)
> Another idea could be to use a "special tileindex mode" for each
> direction, where just the most matching oblique will be rendered from
> footprint-tileindex.
> Would you suggest a real 3D-solution? How to serve that?
>
> Any more hints are welcome :)
> ... and a happy new year!
>
> Regards
> Ben

Ben,
[...]
We have yet to investigate the methods used in Birds-eye to see how that works. We expect that the plugin provided by the oblique vendor is being used.
Hope that helps.

Lowell