[mapserver-users] Σχετ: Place names and language

Stefanos Anastasiou emperor_stef at yahoo.gr
Sat Jan 21 12:42:25 PST 2017

Hi Aimee,   I had a similar problem a while ago and I was seeing weird boxes and characters on my labels so I was trying to use ENCODING in my mapfile to solve this, since "iconv -l" command listed greek as well. Eventually I found out that if I install the fonts for my language (greek), and then reference them correctly in my mapfile with the fonts.list file, it is working perfectly without having to use ENCODING in my mapfile. My fonts are truetype fonts so if you try this, add "TYPE truetype" in your label object.  My Mapserver version is 7.0.1.   Hope this helps.
Regards,Stefanos

    Στις 8:01 μ.μ. Σάββατο, 21 Ιανουαρίου 2017, ο/η aimdev <aimdev at mail.com> έγραψε:

 Hi

I have installed on mapserver a planet file imported using imposm3.
Maps all ok, however, for non english countries,(Middle East/Russia/China etc) the place names  are in the local language
(Arabic/Russian or for China, square boxes).
Is this normal?, or have I messed up somewhere in a mapping?

Thanks

Aimee

mapserver 7.0.3 is the server release.