[mapserver-users] Status of MVT vector tiles?

Lime, Steve D (MNIT) steve.lime at state.mn.us
Mon Feb 5 14:36:55 PST 2018

My branch (https://github.com/sdlime/mapserver/tree/vector-tiles) is the one to try. You should be able build it as you would any other branch – using cmake. You need protobuf and protobuf-c installed to be able to compile things though.

Configuring MVT output is really quite similar to configuring WFS or WMS output. The MVT renderer relies on the WFS/WMS/OWS/GML metadata items to define what fields should be output and what they should be named. In my demo https://github.com/sdlime/mapserver/tree/vector-tiles the MVT related configuration is pretty much just the gml_* metadata items associated with each layer. I’m mapping shapefile fields to standard names in the MVT output for consistency – so every feature has a name and a unique id. The id is referenced in the MVT specs (https://github.com/mapbox/vector-tile-spec) and must be unique within a layer.