[mapserver-users] Mapcache: Limiting a cached area by using a shapefile, Adjusting the Google Compatible 3857 grid, Considerations if multiple grids use the same projection?

Mark Volz MarkVolz at co.lyon.mn.us
Fri Aug 30 08:04:34 PDT 2019

Hello,

Question 1:  Limit a cached area by using a shapefile.
Does map server give us the ability to limit the extent of a cache using a shapefile?  I know we can set up a rectangular grid for the extent.   However, I would like to make sure tiles are not generated beyond the area of interest.

Question 2:  Can we or should we adjust the Google Compatible 3857 grid?
I realize I should start supporting the 3857 grid for some applications.  However, I also don't see the need to cache the entire world.  What is the best approach to build a cache for a small area that is in the same tile schema that Google, Bing, and ArcGIS use?
*Is there a tool available to calculate the appropriate rectangular grid for an area of interest?
*Similar to question 1, can we limit the cached area using a shapefile?

Question 3: Are there any considerations if multiple grids use the same projection?
Are there any considerations if multiple grids use the same projection.  For example, will there be a problem if we have a cache for County A, County B, and County C all using the 3857 grid?  After adding the WMS layer I noticed that the dialog for ArcMap-->WMS Layer-->Change Coordinate System will list every projection configured in MapCache even if that particular projection applies to a different county.
*Will Mapcache work with multiple grids using the same projection?
*Am I better off setting up several mapcache aliases such as https://jingthegisguy.wordpress.com/2015/05/06/mapcache-the-basic-settings/?

Thank You!
Sincerely,
Mark Volz, GISP