[mapserver-users] MS4W version 4.0.0-beta1 available

Stefanos Anastasiou emperor_stef at yahoo.gr
Tue Feb 12 03:59:48 PST 2019

 Hi Jeff, thank you for your reply and the link. So regarding Linux there is no official SWIG integration for php mapscript yet,right? Only attempts and tests
Thank you for your reply
-Stefanos
    Στις Παρασκευή, 8 Φεβρουαρίου 2019, 5:02:41 μ.μ. EET, ο χρήστης Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> έγραψε:

 Hi Stefanos,

MS4W 4, and moving forward, will leverage the SWIG API for PHPmapscript
use.  Believe it or not, there was an alpha release of MS4W way back in
2016 with that SWIG support for PHP7mapscript (and some have used that
alpha in deployment since).  The purpose of the 4.0.0 beta process is to
give all MS4W users, devs, organizations, projects, lots of time to get
their hands on it, trying, testing, giving feedback, and modifying their
code for this PHPmapscript change.  I've also informed several other
software communities directly of this (GeoMoose, Mapbender, p.mapper,
ZOO-Project, etc).

It is a dramatic change, but the timing is right as MS4W 4.0 will give
the reason to adapt to the SWIG API, for PHP users.  This change for
MS4W was made for the long-term maintenance of PHPmapscript in MS4W (to
avoid such a show-stopping PHP version, like a PHP8, coming along and
affecting MS4W deployments again).

In terms of your question for PHPmapscript support in other environments
other than MS4W, many have been leveraging this code:
https://github.com/bjoernboldt/mapscript-php7 which has been imported
into MapServer 7.4dev source also.  So you should be fine for Linux as
well (but it may take time for all packaged distributions to catch up to
all of these changes).

I hope I helped answer your questions.

Thanks for your interest in MS4W.

-jeff